Under the administrative direction of the Town Manager or designee, performs highly complex and specialized executive work, coordinates, implements and manages a variety of special projects and programs within the Tourism department; requiring considerable interaction with outside agencies, community businesses and organizations, administrative officials, and the general public. Plans and oversees activities, marketing and events to attract visitors to the Town. Promotes dining, shopping, lodging, recreation and beaches.
The preferred candidate must be able to:
- Plan, organize and manage all tourism events including: creative themes, logistics, media coordination, advertising, publicity, community outreach, budgets and timelines.
- Handle matters of a sensitive nature.
- Maintain working rapport with hotel management, merchants and restaurants to encourage and develop participation in promotions and events.
- Serve as liaison between Town Administration, civic groups and business organizations involved with the Downtown District and tourism.
- Implement plans and strategies, including the use of visitor social media, to solicit communication to industry business and community groups, individuals, etc. for the purpose of attracting potential visitors for dining, shopping, and lodging in the Town of Surfside.
- Oversee creative, production and implementation of all marketing communications such as but not limited to website, brochures, advertising and visitor social media promotional material.
- Generate various complex and specialized correspondence, articles, memos, agendas, orders, reports, forms, manuals, or other relevant promotional materials.
- Review and evaluate proposals for new programs and services.
- Assist with the overseeing of resort tax compliance and short term rentals and responds accordingly.
- Respond to requests from visitors, the community, businesses and general public by evaluating and insuring appropriate assistance.
- Manage and participate in the development and administration of the departmental budget; creates and manages event budget for each activity produced by the department.
- Ensure compliance with policies, procedures and applicable operational, budgetary and regulatory standards.
- Maintain current knowledge of related trends and developments to assist with generating ideas, researching, fact-finding, coordinating and preparing reports to expand existing markets. Develop new marketing opportunities for tourism.
- Act as the Town's representative in matters pertaining to applicable associations and organizations
- Attend Town Commission meetings, monthly Tourist Board meetings, and other meetings as required and takes necessary action regarding agenda items.
- Preform other related duties as assigned.
The Surfside Tourism Director is responsible for planning and overseeing the Town of Surfside, Florida tourism activities, marketing and events in order to attract visitors to the Town. Overall activities include: promoting the Town's dining, shopping, lodging, recreation and beaches to visitors nationally, internationally and within the State of Florida, particularly the Broward and Miami-Dade County area; planning, organizing and managing all Town of Surfside Tourist Board special events including logistics, promotion and advertising; promotes local hotels and downtown business, manages the visitor's center in addition to developing and implementing marketing initiatives including visitors social media for such endeavors.
This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or a combination of education and/or experience equal to five (5) years in tourism, marketing, event planning or public relations. An emphasis will be placed to those candidates who have worked with the promotion of tourism and those who have marketing and event planning experience for municipalities or nonprofit organizations. Demonstrated skills in event planning, tourism development and effective communication are essential. Previous experience in a Destination Marketing Organization (DMO) is highly desirable.
A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
Flexible schedule is required. Open until filled. Salary range: $64,392 - $96,588 DOQ/E. Excellent benefits.
Submit resume, salary history and cover letter to: Town of Surfside, Human Resources Director 9293 Harding Avenue Surfside, FL 33154 phone: (305) 861-4863. You may e-mail your resume, salary history and cover letter to email@example.com, or fax to (305)861-1302.
The Town of Surfside is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Veterans’ preference will be awarded under applicable Florida Law. All resumes are subject to Florida Public Records Laws.