According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), older adults and people with weakened immune systems or serious medical conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes and lung disease, are at higher risk of becoming very sick from this illness.
The CDC recommends the following:
- Stock up on supplies including groceries and medicine as needed
- Take everyday precautions to keep space between yourself and others (at least six-feet away from others)
- Stay away from others who are sick, limit close contact and wash your hands often
- Avoid gatherings of more than 10 people
- Avoid non-essential air travel
- Stay home as much as possible during the COVID-19 outbreak
Meals for Seniors
If you are a senior citizen 65 years or older and are having problems getting meals, please call Miami-Dade County’s 311 Call Center between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and you will be immediately patched in with their Emergency Operations Center to get you the meals or other services that you may need.
Emergency & Evacuation Assistance Program (EEAP)
Should you need specialized transportation assistance, safe shelter, medical monitoring or wellness checks, the Miami-Dade County offers an Emergency & Evacuation Assistance Program (EEAP). The program is for senior residents who may need additional assistance during emergency situations. To register, visit: https://www8.miamidade.gov/apps/gis/eeap_publicregistration.
Sign Up for Email Notifications and CodeRed Alerts
Stay informed and receive updates! Please sign up for email notifications on the Town website at https://www.townofsurfsidefl.gov/news-and-events/subscribe and CodeRed alerts via the instructions found here: https://www.townofsurfsidefl.gov/departments-services/police/code-red
Surfside Police Department
You can always count on our Surfside Police Department to help you. To contact the Police Department, call 305.861.4862.
Designated Shopping Hours for Seniors and Delivery Services
- CVS is offering free deliveries of prescriptions and other store items. To request free delivery, call Surfside’s CVS store: 305.865.3298 or visit https://www.cvs.com/content/delivery.
- Walgreens is offering free deliveries of prescriptions. Find more information, including store locations, on https://www.walgreens.com/.
- Publix provides grocery delivery and curbside pickup. It also offers special “seniors only” hours. Set up grocery delivery and pickup online at https://www.publix.com/locations/73-publix-at-surfside. From 7 am - 8 am on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, Publix stores and pharmacies will be open exclusively to seniors over age 65. For more information, call Surfside’s Publix Store at 305.865.1263 or the Pharmacy at 305.865.4378.
- Whole Foods provides grocery delivery and has special “seniors only” hours. Customers over age 60 can start shopping one hour before Whole Foods stores open to the general public. For more information, call the North Miami Whole Foods store at 305.892.5500.
- Target is reserving the first hour of shopping every Wednesday for seniors and other guests who are vulnerable to the coronavirus. Visit: https://corporate.target.com/press/releases/2020/03/target-announces-reduced-store-hours-dedicated-sho
Casa Church Ministry Offering Assistance to Elderly
A group of volunteers with the Casa Church ministry in Surfside are offering the following free services to our elderly community and disabled residents:
- Run shopping errands for groceries (money for groceries provided by resident)
- Pick up medicine and drop off at the resident’s home (money for prescriptions provided by resident)
- Become a drop off/collection center for anyone who wants to donate non-perishable food for families in need
- Drop off a bag of non-perishable food for a family in need in Surfside
To obtain any of the services above, residents of Surfside can call/text (305) 864-9283 (Ext 3) or email Help@Casachurch.Miami
Jewish Community Services of South Florida (JCS)
JCS continues to serve the community during Coronavirus outbreaks. JCS remains open, providing food, counseling, crisis response and information, and referral services. For assistance, please call 2-1-1 or 305.576.6550.