Feeling restless or bored at home? It is for your safety amid growing coronavirus concerns. Lucky for residents, the Surfside Parks and Recreation Department has compiled a number of activities for kids, adults and seniors to fill their time. Check out the list below.
As a reminder, the Town of Surfside has issued a “Safer at Home” Emergency Order, in effect until further notice. View the Emergency Order here and learn what this means to you.
Virtual Online Activities
- Baptist Health of South Florida- offering Virtual Wellness Classes! Week of March 30 - April 4, 2020 via Zoom.
- Silver Sneakers has a video exercise class specifically fit for seniors.
- Loggerhead Marine Life Center in Juno Beach will have video lessons on sea turtles and other marine life topics. You can watch the lessons live at 2 pm Monday-Friday on their Facebook page. Scroll down to “Posts” to tune in.
- New World Symphony is offering virtual concerts via Facebook.
- Frost Art Museum, The Wolfsonian-FIU, Jewish Museum of Florida, the Louvre, the Guggenheim and many others are engaging arts and culture lovers through virtual tours. Check their websites for more information.
- The Boca Raton Museum of Art is offering art education and experiences on its website.
- Tour of the Pérez Art Museum in Miami.
- Food Network's Top Vegan Recipes.
- The Metropolitan Opera in New York is broadcasting an opera every day at 7:30 pm for free on its website. Visit their website and select the current date to tune in.
- Every day, National Public Radio (NPR) posts a list of concerts available online for that date.
- Travel + Leisure magazine put together a list of 12 major art museums that offer virtual tours.
- Lincoln Center - Family art workshops, weekdays at 10:00 a.m.
- National Parks Tours: Available for Yellowstone, Kenai Fjord and others. Find a Park on NPS.gov, hover over Learn about the Park, and then over Photos & Multimedia, and click Virtual Tour.
Watch Broadway Plays from Home
Managing Anxiety - Breathwork Session
From Newsies to Sweeney Todd, some of the best Broadway shows are available for viewing at home.
Try an online Breathwork session with The CLEO Institute's Mia Kirn on Sundays at 9:00 pm via Zoom.
Meeting ID: 217-855-1217.
AARP Healthy Living Guide
How to weight the risks and make good decisions based on your age and health status. Read more.
Calling All Teens!
The Surfside Parks and Recreation will be hosting ZOOM group discussions with teens in the community to receive input on fun activities and engage in lively conversations while stuck at home. Virtual meet-ups will take place from 6 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday, starting April 6, 2020. This is a friendly environment for teens and it’s a great way to make new friends. For any questions regarding the teen program, please contact Carlos Malvarez via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
A Little Something for the Kids
Don’t’ Worry; Just Do it”
April 4, 2020 at 11 a.m. - noon with Coach Beata
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 758 807 353
NO PASSWORD required
What kids need for the class: couple of pieces of paper to write on, a trash can, a journal or notebook, pencil, pen, markers, a coin (a penny or a quarter) or an open mind.
Beata – Transformational coach has been teaching CIJ Insight for Life for Kids and Teens Emotional Intelligence classes at Surfside Community Center. She was scheduled to teach them in collaboration with PEAR afterschool program in April. Should you need any additional information do not hesitate to contact Beata at email@example.com or 305-489-3456.
Stuck at Home Podcast
Professional audio producers are asking kids to record mini podcast episodes using a smartphone, then send them in to create one big "Stuck At Home" podcast project.
'The Adventures of Surfy' Coloring Book
Help educate the kids on the many dangers faced by sea turtles including, Surfy, Surfside's most famous sea turtle! Download the coloring book.
Pelican Harbour Coloring Book
The Misadventures of Penelope the Pelican.
Online Learning Activities
The following links contain a wide-range of ideas for kid-friendly activities, as well as learning resources:
Activities to Stay Active
With schools closed until further notice, the Surfside Parks and Recreation Department will be rolling out new activities to keep kids entertained and busy at home.
Take an Offline Break
- Pick a destination you have never been to, research and then create a travel brochure
- Build a fort with blankets and pillows
- Play dress-up
- Write a card or letter
- Make a backyard obstacle course
- Paint or draw
- Bake cookies
- Go for a walk, while keeping a safe social distance
- Do a crossword puzzle