The Executive Department provides for the centralized management of all Town functions.
The Town Manager is the chief executive officer and the head of the administrative branch of the Town government and is responsible for ensuring that all operations effectively address the policy direction provided by the Town Commission in the most efficient and responsible manner. The Town Commission appoints the Town Manager and provides for general oversight. Article III of the Town of Surfside Charter provides a detailed explanation of the associated rights, responsibilities, and prohibitions governing the Town Manager.
The powers and responsibilities of the Town Manager designated in the Town Charter include, among others:
- Appointment and removal of personnel not reserved to the Town Commission (boards, auditors, attorney)
- Prepares the annual budget, Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and monthly financial reports to keep the Town Commission advised of the Town’s financial condition
- Provides oversight of all elements of financial and budgetary processing, control, and management
- Performs such other duties as may be required by the Town Commission not inconsistent with the Town Charter
The position of Assistant Town Manager was established in fiscal year 2017 to assist the Town Manager with responsibilities as designated. Furthermore, to assist the Town Manager in the personnel function, the Town operates its Human Resources function as an element of the Executive Department. All Human Resource issues are addressed in this element including personnel actions (hiring, evaluating, promoting, disciplining), benefits management (pension, health, dental, life insurance, and similar), employee morale programs, and collective bargaining.
To assist the Town Manager in communications, Town's Executive Department publishes the highly visible monthly Gazette, which provides information on services, recent legislative action and special programs and events. Other forms of communication with the Town’s residents and the public include the Town’s website and public access Channel 663.
Also, under the Executive Department, the Planning Division is responsible for community development and planning and zoning functions.
Presently, Information Technology (IT) Management is under the Executive Department with the Department being the liaison with the contracted IT vendor. There is an on-site IT person who coordinates the technology needs of all Town staff and Elected Officials with the services provided through the IT contract. Those services include:
- Hardware, including desktop computers, laptops, telephones, office machines including copiers and printers for all Departments
- Network trouble shooting
- Software maintenance and development
- Phone hardware and software
- Provide broadcast services and monitor Channel 663
- Automation of billing service payments through credit cards on Web access
- Internal Support functions include providing necessary training and communication on finance related items, providing information for departmental research/reports, supporting requests of the Town Commission and all other interested parties, assisting with the identification of service resources.