Responsible technical work reviewing plans and engineered documents and performing building inspections to ensure compliance to existing codes, ordinances and statutes. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Building Official. The Building Inspector-Plans Examiner requires the ability to effectively and cordially communicate with and create successful business relationships with citizens, construction personnel, contractors and design professionals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Reviews submitted plans and engineered documents for building code compliance.
2. Conducts site visits to perform building inspections.
3. Documents all inspections and reviews and enters results/comments in the system.
4. Provides information and assistance to the public, contractors, or other employees.
5. Keeps the Building Official appraised of all review and inspection activities.
6. Checks site plans for conformity to applicable codes and approved documents.
7. Investigates code violations and enforces regulations as directed.
8. Reviews building plans.
9. Interprets codes.
10. Discusses plans with architects, engineers, etc.
11. Assists other departments with construction related issues.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of state and local laws, codes, ordinances and regulations concerning building plans review, building installations and repair.
- Knowledge of the Town codes and ordinances.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of building construction.
- Knowledge of the Florida Building Code(s).
- Ability to interpret technical designs and engineered plans.
- Ability to enforce building codes, Town codes and document violations.
- Ability to read and understand engineered plans and apply regulations.
- Ability to work with the general public in a cordial manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Skill to use standard equipment and testing devices.
- Knowledge and skills to detect code defects in building design and construction.
Basic computer knowledge for data and review results/comments entry.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School graduation or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma. At least five (5) years experience within a construction related field as an inspector, designer, engineer, architect, or construction superintendent.
(A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Miami-Dade County Board of Rules and Appeals (B.O.R.A.) certification as a Building Inspector and Plans Examiner.
- Valid Florida Driver's License.
- Department of Building and Professional Regulation (DBPR)-Building Code Administrators and Inspectors Board (BCAIB): Standard certificate as Building Inspector and Building Plans Examiner per F.S. Chapter 468.
- All requirements of the Florida State Statues.
Open until filled. Salary range: $61,375.12 - $98,200.20 DOQ/E. Excellent benefits.
Submit resume and cover letter to: Town of Surfside, Human Resources Director, 9293 Harding Avenue Surfside, FL 33154 phone: (305) 861-4863. You may e-mail your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to (305) 715-0002.
The Town of Surfside is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Veterans’ preference will be awarded under applicable Florida Law. All resumes are subject to Florida Public Records Laws.