Under the general supervision of a Police Sergeant, supplements the sworn officer ranks by assuming portions of the non-enforcement calls for service and administrative tasks, promoting police/public relations through community projects, court time, and special events to maximize the events that are specially related to the Tourism areas in the Downtown Business District and the beach areas of the Town of Surfside.
The preferred candidate must be able to:
• Provide general assistance/information to the public
• Complete, update, submit required reports/documents/forms
• Respond to traffic accidents
• Monitor/respond to dispatch and calls for service
• Direct traffic flow
• Collect, complete, and obtain accurate information to prepare clear, concise reports, supplemental reports and/or court-petitions/affidavits (if applicable) in accordance with department policy and state and/or federal statutes
• Liaison with community service providers in an effort to improve the quality of life within their assigned community
• Patrol controlled parking areas and assigned areas and report any suspicious activities/vehicles/persons/ hazards to the Communications Unit
• Enforce parking ordinances
• Respond to parking related complaints/issues
• Conduct effective follow up activities related to minor property investigations consistent with agency policies
• Utilize a two-way radio and communicate in a clear, concise and intelligent manner under all conditions and at all times
• Identify and analyze problems and develop effective responses and solutions to resolve such problems
• Convey verbal information / instructions/ directives / commands in a clear, concise, and intelligent manner
• Provide written communications and reports in an accurate, concise, legible and timely manner
Candidates must possess a High School Diploma or GED, a current valid Florida Driver’s License, successfully complete the Police Service Aide Academy and be eligible to be employed as a Police Service Aide per Florida Statute 316 and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement-Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, OR have successfully completed the Florida Basic Law Enforcement Recruit Training Program (Academy) per Florida Statute and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement-Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, OR have successfully completed the Florida Equivalency of Training (EOT) process for Law Enforcement Officers per Florida Statute, Florida Administrative Code, and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement-Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission.
(A comparable amount of training, education, or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications).
Salary range: $43,350.65 – $69,361.03 DOQ/E. Flexible schedule is required. Excellent benefits. Open until filled. Submit your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or fax to 305-715-0002.
Applicants who demonstrate they meet the minimum requirements will be subject to an extensive selection process and screening program, which may include, but not be limited to, evaluation of education, training and experience; oral interview(s); background investigation; reference checks; phycological evaluation, medical evaluation; polygraph and controlled substance screening. Preference will be given to certain veterans, spouses of veterans, or unmarried widows/widowers of veteran. Proof of veterans' eligibility must be provided at time of application. Applicants with disabilities who desire special accommodation MUST notify the Human Resources at the time of application.
The Town of Surfside is an Equal Opportunity / Drug Free Workplace Employer. Veterans’ preference will be awarded under applicable Florida Law. All applications and resumes are subject to Florida Public Records Laws.