Under the general supervision of the Code Compliance Director, responsible for conducting field inspections, investigations and research to determine compliance with applicable Town Codes of residential, commercial and public properties. Enforces ordinances with fairness, firmness, tact and impartiality, while always dealing courteously with the general public.
The preferred candidate must be able to:
1. Determine violations of the Town Code of Ordinances and other applicable codes.
2. Patrol the Town (including the beach) to identify violations of the Town Code and other applicable codes.
3. Conduct inspections, investigations and research to determine compliance with the codes.
4. Respond to a wide variety of calls and complaints involving violations of applicable codes.
5. Issue Courtesy Notices and after conducting research to determine necessary facts, follows up with a Civil Citation or Notice of Violation and proceeds to prosecution before a Special Magistrate.
6. Strive to facilitate resolution of violations through voluntary compliance or, when not possible, sets in motion the enforcement process by way of fines and eventually Special Masters hearing.
7. Keep management advised on a regular basis of all actions taken and Notices issued.
8. Remove illegal signs from Town right-of-ways.
9. Keep records and make reports of activities and cases filed or forwarded for filing.
10. Conduct research to develop data and gather information, as required.
11. Perform a variety of duties relative to the operation of the Code Compliance Division.
12. Maintain Code Compliance files, including updated case history for properties within the Town.
13. Record all Courtesy Notices, Civil Violation Notices, and Notices of Violations and fines associated with the code enforcement process.
14. Assist with the preparation and posting of all Notices and Affidavits.
15. Attend Special Magistrate Hearings provide testimony, and update case notes as required.
16. Assist with the tracking of administrative fees and fines assessed by the Special Magistrate.
17. Assemble all necessary files and case histories as needed.
18. Answer phone and provides information to the public.
19. Input, access, and retrieve information using a computer from multiple programs and software.
20. Work with the public and resolve citizen’s disputes as directed by the Code Compliance Director.
21. Perform night inspections.
22. Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements / Qualifications:
Possession of a valid Florida Drivers’ License; High School Diploma, and two (2) years’ experience in enforcing laws, codes, rules, regulations and dealing with the public in similar compliance functions, preferred. Active FACE Fundamentals of Code Enforcement, required. Ability to obtain additional FACE course certifications within two (2) years.
A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications. The preferred candidate must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing and be proficient with a varied range of computer application programs, including Microsoft office suite. Knowledge of Iworq Code Enforcement software is desired.
Salary range: $19.48 - $31.17 P/H DOQ/E. Must be able to work weekends, holidays, and nights. Open until filled. Submit resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Town of Surfside is an Equal Opportunity / Drug Free Workplace Employer. Veterans’ preference will be awarded under applicable Florida Law. All resumes are subject to Florida Public Records Laws.